Check out our Sweet Project Planner.
We continue to build an unparalleled team of talented, fun, and creative people as we seek to become the premier agency for the social sector.
Send us a message.
Oops! We could not locate your form.
Software Engineer Contractor
- Position Summary
- Why Us?
- Primary Responsibilities
- Candidate Profile and Experience
- Equal Employment Opportunity & Commitment to Diversity
We are looking for a brilliant, passionate web engineer to help build high-quality web applications for our mission-driven clients. You will collaborate closely with our diverse and talented team to build robust back-end solutions that deliver on Exygy’s reputation for outstanding quality. You will be instrumental in the successful delivery of our core services offering: innovative software solutions to pressing real-world problems.
Exygy works with the world’s leading change-makers to design and build exceptional software. Some of our clients include: The UN World Food Program, the City of San Francisco, Google.org, the Wikimedia Foundation, and the Skoll Global Threats Fund. With a commitment to outstanding human-centered design and lean, standards-driven development, we work strategically and deliberately to create fantastic products that help our clients achieve their organizational goals.
As a small, fast-growing, and driven organization you’ll have an opportunity to collaborate with a core team of talented engineers and designers and take a leadership position in the company as we continue to scale. Your work will engage on a wide variety of technical challenges, whose successful completion directly leads to positive social change.
- Develop well-written, human-centered, and scalable front-end and back-end features that are thoroughly tested
- Attend scrum meetings such as sprint planning and daily standups to coordinate and meet sprint goals with the team
- Rotary error log monitoring and production monitoring duties
- Participate in debugging, DevOps tasks, code reviews, unit testing and end-to-end testing
- Cache, optimize and develop systems that can handle thousands of requests.
- Develop APIs for dynamic front-end features.
- Collaborate with team in the design, development, maintenance of our application
Candidate Profile and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or equivalent experience required; MS in CS, or comparable degree preferred
- You equally love sharing your expertise and learning new things from your peers.
- You are the kind of person who isn’t satisfied until it’s as good as it can be.
- You are patient and can distill and articulate technical issues in language that non-technical stakeholders can understand.
- You are an expert at creating the responsive web
- You have demonstrated experience developing enterprise-class, consumer facing applications
- You thrive in an environment driven by quality and sensitivity to client happiness
- You can balance several priorities, be flexible in meeting urgent client needs when they arise, and effectively communicate your needs and priorities to the rest of the team
- Your peers see you as a thought leader in your field; you take responsibility for championing best practices and standards; others enjoy learning from you
- Expert knowledge of functional languages and MVC architecture (Ruby on Rails, Angular, React)
- Recent Ruby on Rails development experience
- Experience consuming and designing RESTful APIs
- Understanding of algorithms, data structures, and design
- Excitement and some knowledge about other technologies like Node.js, Redis, MongoDB, Gulp, Webpack, Meteor
- Experience with version control, particularly Git, and use of Github
- Experience and excitement around pair programming
- Effective and empathetic communication with your peers, your manager and external clients
- Intuitive understanding of engineering tasks, ability to estimate your progress and time to completion
- Contract-to-hire position
- Initially 20 hours a week
- Compensation for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience
- Reports to the project’s Product Manager
Equal Employment Opportunity & Commitment to Diversity
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because we believe that creates a stronger team.
Exygy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. Exygy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. All employees and contractors of Exygy are responsible for maintaining a work atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with dignity and respect.
Fight the good fight
Working at Exygy is an opportunity to become part of an ambitious, talented organization that is scaling. That means you have significant responsibility, and unparalleled opportunity to learn and grow with the company. We count some of the best social enterprises in the world as our clients – and we have only just begun.
Exygy is in its infancy, but since 2006, we’ve had:
on a Bike
At Exygy we work as a team but also take time to take care of ourselves. It’s a place where you’ll be joining a very hard working group but you’ll also have the freedom to set your own schedule and voice what is important to you in terms of designing your work life. You’re also joining a growing team; we look for folks who want an active role in growing the company in a meaningful way.
We have a homey feeling office in the heart of SF and these awesome perks. Check it out:
- Competitive salary along with a ton of awesome benefits.
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance for you.
- Workspace customization: make it like you want it.
- As much vacation as you need: unlimited PTO.
- Awesome location in SF. Next to Bart station.
- Full kitchen and Accessible parking. You’ll feel you’re home.
- Bike Maintenance. A mobile mechanic who visits the office every quarter!
- CityCarShare membership for you to use whenever you want.
- Gym Discount. Doesn’t matter the gym, you’ve got it.
- Lunch at Office. Yum! At least once a week, all together!
- Pet Friendly environment, because our mascots are the best
Our mission-aligned culture carries through from our design and technical expertise, into the real world. We’re able to use our superpowers for good, actively engaging in impactful work that makes the world a better place.